Whenever we go to a Japanese Restaurant and order a plate of sashimi it will most likely come on a bed of beautifully shredded white Daikon (Japanese radish). Sure it may be to make the dish look ‘prettier’, but the reason goes beyond aesthetics. There’s an incredibly smart, scientific, and healthy reason behind it!
Daikon radish has LOADS of health benefits!! Oh gosh, where to begin? How bout I list the awesomeness out for you….
- First of all, it’s super low in calories so you can eat as much as you want without a worry.
- It’s super high in antioxidants and vitamin C.
- It helps in preventing cancer by fighting free radical damage
- Aids the liver in eliminating toxins
- It combats bacterial and viral infections (which is probably a reason why it comes with sashimi)
- It is an anti-inflammatory
- It is a natural diuretic (awesome for the kidneys)
- It has enzymes that help our bodies digest proteins, fats, oils, and carbohydrates
Pretty cool right? The Japanese aren’t the longest living people in the world for no reason. They eat smart! So next time you order that sushi or sashimi plate why not nibble on that bed of shredded daikon? Your body will thank you for it! 🙂
Now daikon isn’t just to have whenever you’re satisfying your Japanese food craving. Here’s a quick recipe you can whip up easily at home!
You must be logged in to post a comment.