Who doesn’t love pancakes right? Well, we are OB-SESSED! Recently, I’ve been testing out different ingredients to try to add some healthy goodness to the traditional pancake. Then I whipped up this one using oats that came out totally YUMMS and thought I had to share!
Let me start by sharing how awesome oats are! Oats are loaded with body-loving goodness! They are great to have anytime of the day, but they are amazing for breakfast as it gets the body going on a good note. They are high in fiber so it keeps you full for longer. They are packed with protein, stabilise blood sugar levels, low in fat and get this……they aid the body in removing bad cholesterol! Pretty cool right?
Prepare oats for your yummilicious pancakes by soaking them overnight! This step is important because by soaking the oats you decrease the amount of phytic acid in the oats. (I will be explaining more about this in detail in another blog post)
- 2 cups Warm water
- 1 cup Whole rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar/lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a tupperware container and mix together.
- Keep the container in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning rinse and drain oats thoroughly. Make sure to drain as much liquid as possible because you don’t want your batter to be too runny.
For the Pancakes:
- Pre-soaked whole rolled oats (thoroughly drained-important)
- 2 Tbsp Flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 Ripe banana (mashed)
- 1 Tbsp Greek yoghurt or cottage cheese
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- salt (optional)
- coconut oil (grapeseed oil) for pan
- Blend (puree) pre-soaked oats with flaxseed meal in a food processor/blender until you get a smooth consistency.
- Add cinnamon, greek yogurt (cottage cheese), mashed ripe banana, egg whites and salt to the oat mixture and continue to blend.
- Add the baking powder to mixture.
- Lightly oil frying pan and scoop the batter onto the pan and fry each side for around 2min. I find a ladle gives you the perfect amount of batter for one pancake.
Strawberry-chia topping –Blend the following ingredients and set aside. Best to prep this before pancakes so it thickens.
- 1 cup Strawberries (if frozen remember to defrost)
- 1 Tbsp Chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp Honey
Other topping options: fruit yoghurt, sliced fruit, honey, peanut butter, classic -maple syrup
This recipe makes 4 large pancakes or 8 small pancakes. Here’s a little tip -I like to use the egg frying pan to make perfect lil’ mini pancakes! If you have any questions or comments I’d love to hear them so do drop me a line in the message box below! 🙂