Fresh Daikon Salad
I’ve shared in a previous post the awesomeness of daikon (Japanese white radish) and here is an easy recipe you can whip up at home using this amazing veggie. For the busy bees out there you can even prepare it the night before and take it to lunch the next day!
Ingredients for the salad:
- 1 Daikon radish
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Celery stalks
- 1 Punnet of cherry tomatoes
- 1 Green apple
- 2 Firm Tofu
- 1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar
- 1tsp Coconut oil or grapeseed oil
Ingredients for the dressing:
- 2 tbsp Tahini
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- dash of ground pepper
1) Mix all ingredients for the dressing and keep chilled in the fridge whilst prepping the salad
2) Wash all veggies thoroughly
3) Chop up celery into thin slivers and set aside
4) Peel and shred carrots and daikon and set aside (I used a spiralizer but a mandolin will do just fine)
5) Halve the cherry tomatoes and set aside
3) Chop green apple into slivers toss with lemon juice and set aside. You can shred it as well but I chopped it to add different textures to the salad
4) Toss all veggies together in a large bowl with the lemon juice. The lemon juice slows the oxidising process (preventing nutrient loss and from turning brown) especially important if you are prepping the salad for the next day.
5) Slice tofu into around 1cm thickness (can be thicker or thinner if you’d like). Sprinkle a bit of sea salt and pepper. Add the coconut oil or grapeseed oil to the pan and lightly fry each side of the tofu until golden brown. Then transfer the tofu slices onto a chopping board and chop into smaller pieces. You can opt for a full raw salad by skipping the frying and going straight to the chopping.
6) Add tofu to salad mixture and drizzle dressing and toss all together until the salad is thoroughly covered with the dressing
7) Dish up and serve! Easy, fresh, and super yummy!
**This makes about 4 decent servings
You must be logged in to post a comment.